Monday, August 6, 2012

Pulp of the Week - Kim Oh 1: Real Dangerous Girl




.



Back from vacation and ready to go...

Author K.W. Jeter is giving away the first novel in his Kim Oh series. You can find it on his blog linked here - just scroll down to the July 14th post. This first book was a fun read and left me wanting more. I will certainly be picking up the next book.

In this first story we follow Kim Oh, a young accountant who works for a less than legit operation. Her biggest thrill is when she gets to chat with a charming hitman.  Kim is a mousy young woman that takes care of her invalid brother and walks through her boring life. Her boss tells her that big changes are coming. Well, as things turn out, the big changes come and Kim isn't at all happy.

Kim takes a few rash actions and her life changes forever. To say more would be spoilerific, but what Jeter does is a fast fun action piece written first person from Kim's POV. My only grouse is that it ends too soon. That's not an expression. The book ended before I was ready to stop reading and before the big ending. I'm guessing these are a serial story, with parts 1 - 3 being the first story. That's fine because you can check out all of part 1 now for free on Kindle.

K.W. Jeter has written a number of books that I love like Glass Hammer, Death Arms, Farewell Horizontal, Dr. Adder and the Bladerunner sequel novel.

Well, K.W. is back and and writing the stories that he wants to write and publishing them himself through kindle and nook and he has been putting his fantastic back catalog up as well. Jeter is perhaps best known today as the man who coined the phrase, "Steampunk" for the kind of books that he, Tim Powers and James Blaylock were writing at the time.

I'll give Kim Oh 1 a 7 out of 10, but really just because it isn't a complete story. I suspect I'll rate the trilogy higher when I finish it.


.

.

No comments: